Sunday, February 7, 2010

Honda Civic - 1996 EX - what's a good set of tires to buy for my car that nails won't easily puncture?

Last set I bought were Yokohama's. The city streets here in Houston are awful - nothing but pot holes and construction everywhere. I've had 4 nails in my tires in the last year.Honda Civic - 1996 EX - what's a good set of tires to buy for my car that nails won't easily puncture?
All quality name-brand tires have about the same resistance to punctures. Uniroyal a few years ago came out with its ';Nailguard'; lineup promising greater puncture resistance. Unfortunately it didn't work and those tires were quickly discontinued. Pick a good brand, keep them properly inflated - check regularly - and keep your eyes on the road more than one car length ahead of you is about all you can do.Honda Civic - 1996 EX - what's a good set of tires to buy for my car that nails won't easily puncture?
Nails will puncture ANY tire.


Even tractor tires. Get used to it.
I don't know of any tires that are in any way nail-resistant(other than run flats). I'd say your best bet is to either stick with cheap tires that won't hurt too much to replace or just keep patching up the holes at any tire shop for 5 or 10 bucks.
The best,most expensive tires, like michelins, are much more resistant to punctures and flats. Its the cheaper tires like coopers, etc. that can go flat if you hit a slight pot hole. I've had michelins on my jeep for 5 years (the same 4 tires) without so much as a low tire....the side walls are like truck tires and are very rugged.

No comments:

Post a Comment