Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I am looking for a tool for countersinking or setting nails. The thing is that the exact one I am looking for

has a safety handle so you don't hit your hand and it is spring loaded. I am just looking for the name of it or a website that sells them.I am looking for a tool for countersinking or setting nails. The thing is that the exact one I am looking for
its called a nail set probably get one from stanley its good name in carpenter tools


yes now that i read it again the thing you are referring to is not for setting nails that is for locating pilot hole center point when drilling holes for screws as when installing hinges on new door frame etc


it is tapered at the point where it meets the counter sink hole for a very desirable centering


centering punch very sharp dont pound that against a nail ruin it not made for that purposeI am looking for a tool for countersinking or setting nails. The thing is that the exact one I am looking for
I looked at the one in the link, and can't figure out exactly what spring loaded does for the process. Most of mine are probably as old as I am, and with various size points, and work as well as using the back of another nail.


Certainly a ';handle'; might be OK, but a Nail set used carefully is pretty hard to miss with a hammer, and the force needed should be minimal anyway, to assume less damage to any stock. I used to own a PIN setter that was spring loaded, and a single nail Gun that was operated with a 22 bullet, but haven't a clue as to what you're talking about.





I'd be interested to know however, though countersinking nails has never strictly been something I've done other than for trim, with brads or finishing nails.
The good old fashioned name is ';pin punch';. To countersink anything, I've always used drill bits.
Just this one time I will give you my best kept secret and not even charge you my normal dollar two ninety eight.


An intake valve makes a great nail set and in 30 years I have yet to hit my hand while setting nails. And I bet one of your friends has a box of them in their garage.


Dan
If this is just for a small job, I would just get a nail setter, not an expensive big tool. Its just a strong metal piece that you put on the head of a finish nail, then sink it in further with a hammer. They sell different sizes for tapping in different nails, but an everage sized nail set will do many different nails.
go to lowe's or home depot they should have one
Amazing how many different kinds of nailsets there are. I happen to prefer simple ones, but I bought some that are color-coded and it helps me to dig the right size out of my tool belt. Anyway, check out this photo gallery of nailset types from This Old House. Your spring-loaded guy is in there:





http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0鈥?/a>
nail set, self-centering








I use these for setting brads in the corners of picture frames. The only advantage to ';self centering'; is that it won't slip off the nail and make a punch mark next to the nail. Otherwise, I use a straight nail set.

No comments:

Post a Comment